Friday, September 09, 2005

Growth of Catholicism in the South

Click on image for larger version.

Look out Southern Baptists, here we come! As Jay Anderson has reported at his excellent blog Pro Ecclesia*Pro Familia*Pro Civitate, Roman Catholicism is flourishing in the Southern United States. As a little Protestant kid growing up in suburban Atlanta, I ran into very few Catholics. Today, however, the Catholic Church is the 3rd largest church in the metro Atlanta area, and, as Jay's article notes, young Southern Catholics tend to be especially devoted to the faith and the Church. As a local car (and pickup truck) dealer says: "We're number 3, gonna be number 1 real soon!"

4 comments:

PB said...

Very true, my wife’s family is in Greenville, SC and they recently built a new church to handle the massive growth of parishioners. However, one big thing I notice when I am down there, is that people tend to still dress up for mass, unlike Detroit, where few are in dress pants and not jeans.

Zach Brissett said...

Thanks for your comments. Fr. Jay Scott Newman (mentioned in the article at ProEcclesia) is pastor of St. Mary's in Greenville, and he is a very impressive guy.

He appeared on EWTN's "The Journey Home" several months ago, and it remains one of my favorite JH episodes. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't visit St. Mary's while my little sister was attending Furman.

I can't speak for the dress custom in Detroit, but it can't be too much better in the parishes I've visited here in GA. For some reason, far too many people are reluctant to dress up for Jesus. Kind of sad. You might look back at my toon from last Tuesday 30 August, which covers this topic. Thanks again for stopping by, and y'all come back now, y'here?

Jay Anderson said...

You should see what the altar servers wear at St. Thomas Aquinas in Charlottesville. Untucked shirts, baggy shorts and flip-flops, assuming they've decided to dress up.

And this is at a Dominican parish where the priests are fairly orthodox. Unfortunately, it sometimes seems like the liberal University elite inmates are running the asylum over there.

PB said...

Oh, I'll be back.